Tuesday, November 29, 2011

How cheap can cheap books get?

Monday's drive out to Penrith in the stinking heat in a non-air conditioned vehicle was the pits; but well worth the trip to participate in the Western Sydney Region Teacher Librarians' 2012 National Year of Reading Think Tank, hosted by Penrith Public Library. Great ideas getting tossed around there.

As an extra special bonus, I got to visit the cheap book place everyone is talking about, in the adjacent Penrith Plaza. Sure does have a heap of quality books for the minuscule amount of five bucks. Good luck to my colleagues who are authorised to take advantage of these retail outlets. I'm still trying to figure out why that select group school principals, who control the working conditions as well as the budgets of school library folk would object to getting a little more bang for their buck.

Anyways, having traversed the shopping mall to get to the library, just outside the library were paperback spinners stacked with library culls selling for 20 cents each. Oh boy!

But in today's email came what has to be the cheapest of the cheap books. A company called Free eBooks wrote to tell me that they currently have a 50% off sale ....

1 comment:

  1. I believe nowadays books are getting cheaper than ever because of the e-books and because of the great amount of books that can be entirely downloaded from the internet without paying a penny. But this is happening in every country. Last year Ient to Argentina. I stayed in several buenos aires apartments and all of them had a bookstore that was close. I saw a book for only 2 dollars!! I was happy that I was able to buy it and that people can access more easily to books, but sad because I believe this is the end of them too. No author will write if they don´t get paid!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete